Tuesday, October 14

The Good Run

If you knew me 5 years ago, I would have been a very different person with a very different lifestyle back then. I hardly slept at night and I would spend way too much time and waste far too much money at the nightclubs every week. Looking back, I had so much silly fun then and although I wouldn't want to relive that part of my life again, it's something that I don't regret doing either. My past is something that I enjoyed at that time and I guess I just grew out of it. The moments and friendships I had will always be cherished, and it's something that I will look back at and smile. Here are 30 signs that my wild party animal side is behind me...

1. I don’t have new drunk picture tags of me on Facebook anymore.
2. Drinking cuz “Wednesday is the new Friday” is a total lie.
3. On Friday nights, I’m snuggled in bed by 12:30am.
4. I find and come up with all sorts of excuses to avoid going clubbing.
5. I don’t go clubbing alone anymore (dear god, what was I thinking back then?).
6. I don’t feel as excited to do shots as I used to.
7. No vodka.
8. Hangovers are real.
9. When I go out, I ask for the dress code of the place and if it’s OK if I wear shorts.
10. I don’t sleep in past 10am on weekends (I usually get up waaay earlier!).
11. It’s actually possible to make it in time for McDonald’s breakfasts.
12. I can only retell my old "night-out" stories and my friends will say, “We’ve heard that one before”.
13. I think twice before reaching for a cigarette when I’m out drinking.
14. I keep my own wallet instead of passing it to a friend for safekeeping.
15. I don’t bring more than a certain amount of cash when I go for a night out.
16. When I go out clubbing, I secretly wish I brought earplugs along.
17. I regret telling people, “If it’s too loud, you’re too old!”.
18. I don’t really know what to wear to a nightclub anymore.
19. The thought of making out with a random stranger doesn’t excite me anymore.
20. Instead of going out, I say things like “I’m really tired and need some rest tonight”.
21. My parents don’t remind me to not drink too much anymore.
22. When I buy shirts, I’ll think if I can wear them for work. Not for a night out.
23. I can no longer “dance like no one is looking” anymore.
24. That said, I don’t even dance anymore.
25. I no longer go to mamaks for supper.
26. I can count the number of times I’ve been out to a club this year with one hand.
27. I can almost forget how that ringing noise you get in your ear after walking out of a club sounds like.
28. I don’t remember the last time I smelled alcohol-puke.
29. I don’t buy concealer make up to hide hickies anymore.
30. I prefer quiet bars where I can have a conversation with the people I'm out with.

5 comments:

J said...

I'd have one on the list.

# I go to places where I can sit and drink and usually have the waiter (not bartender) bring me a glass of warm water.

Anonymous said...

I salute you! but then again, I never went clubbing cuz I was suffering from depression and acute anxiety, I would get random panic attacks and that's why I never clubbed before, though I have always wanted to. It's not a sign that you're too old or not cool, is just that it's one of those 'been there, done that' kind of things. You should not feel old or uncool. Oh and occasional making out with random strangers? wow! you were wild! lol!

the viennamese said...

Hdaran, hahaha. Exactly. I like places where I can chill with the people I already know, rather than to go somewhere noisy to meet new people. =X

Anonymous, Ooo you get panic attacks? You know what? You didn't miss anything! Nightclubbing is overrated. Lol yea, my bf and I were laughing about how silly I was. Anyhoos, who are you and where are you from?

Anonymous said...

err..I've been reading your blog for quite sometime, I'm actually from East M'sia, mixed ethnicity and closeted. Acually, I've been reading plu blogs for quite sometime.

the viennamese said...

Anonymous, oh cool. I'm East Malaysian too! ...well, kinda. Lol, or at least on paper. Hehe. Oh you're closeted? Well, do you blog? What's your link?