Monday, August 7

The Last Hurrah

Marketplace, better known as MP. It used to be the gay venue in KL. I remember when I used to frequent this place, it was a weekly routine; Saturday nights at MP.

Then word got around that they were closing down, that there was a party, the last hurrah. I texted my closest friends about it and we planned to make one last visit, for old time's sake.

So the night came. We got there at one AM, there was queue. A really long one. I bumped into a few friends who were already leaving. Was surprised to see a few colleagues too (hey hey hey!). They said to not bother; they've been there since eleven, and it took them an hour to get in, and it was too crowded inside. They were heading elsewhere. I wish I had asked them to stay.

After waiting in line for 15 minutes, the bouncers relented and let everyone in. Saw a few more people whom I work with (oops!), and decided to head upstairs to find my usual camping spot. Every step was so nostalgic, I can't believe that they've decided to close this place. The upper floor had a few refurbishments, in a good way, but the beautiful view of the Petronas Twin Towers from the balcony was now obstructed by another development.

The place was crowded, but it wasn't much different during its days of glory. The crowd was nice and friendly. People were socializing, getting to know each other, some reminiscing about their years at MP, and I was pleasantly surprised at all my friends who turned up; The people whom I befriended up on that rooftop, where we'd spend every Saturday night chugging down jugs of long island iced tea, talking and laughing the night away. It was like we all came to bid farewell to this fine establishment.

I felt as though I had traveled back in time and everything was how it was several years ago. How recklessly happy and carefree I used to be. Momentarily free from the worries, stresses, and responsibilities of being an adult, it felt really good. Then when reality kicked in and I realised that it was only a matter of hours before this place was history, it kinda tore deep into my feelings.

I'd go as far as saying that it was probably one of the best nights that I've had in KL in a very long time.

Thank you, Marketplace. You were my social spot when I first came out as a gay man. You've given me so many memories and friendships. And now you've left with a bang. Goodbye.

1 comment:

Jakuone said...

I was not a club person. But I have to agree MP was amazing on its glory days and one of the decent gay clubs around at that time. I too had some great time with my friends there. Knowing that its' closing down was devastating. Certainly this place will be missed.